The BT Line Checker will tell you if superfast broadband services are available via your landline.
Using the BT Line Checker
- Enter your landline number (without any spaces) into the TELEPHONE field and click 'Submit'. This will generate a table of results if you have a BT landline.
- If you get a message saying there is no data available for your number, you will need to click on the 'Address Checker' link. Then click 'Proceed'.
- Enter your postcode in the POSTCODE field and click 'Submit'. Select your address from the list and click 'Submit' again to get your results.
Making sense of my BT Line Checker results
- You only need to focus on the top rows of the results table to quickly find out whether you can get superfast broadband at your property. Information will be displayed in one of the following product categories: VDSL, WBC FTTP and/or ADSL Products.
- The technical terms used in the results table are explained in the BT Line checker jargon buster near the bottom of this page.
- If 'VDSL' is stated under 'Featured Products', this means that the cabinet your landline is connected to has been upgraded via FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) technology and you should be able to order an upgraded fibre broadband service.
The example above shows that fibre broadband is now available and that download speeds of between 80 and 70.4 megabits per second (Mbps) can be achieved on a 'Clean' line or between 80 and 49Mbps on an 'Impacted' line.
"Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (i.e. in good condition) and "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring problems (e.g. poor extension wiring).
The information under the heading ADSL Products shows the speeds the resident was experiencing before the upgrade (up to 17Mbps) and will continue to experience until they order the new fibre service.
WBC FTTP Products
If 'WBC FTTP' is stated under 'Featured Products', this means that the landline to your property has been upgraded via Fibre to the Premise technology and that you can now order a superfast broadband service.